Thursday 25 August 2016

Mixed Media Altered Brush

Hello, crafty friends!
Today I am thrilled to join Frilly and Funkie as a guest designer for their 'Floral Infatuation!' challenge with host Nancy Dynes
She describes her challenge theme this way:
Create any type of vintage or shabby chic project with flowers as a focal point.

As soon as I saw the challenge theme I was so inspired to alter a paint brush I got from a hardware store some time ago and here is what I came up with.



I started with a coat of white gesso.


I used my Decoart media white crackle paste randomly on all sides of my brush.


I wasn't completely satisfied with the look so I decided to apply my Golden crackle paste as well. 


I love the combination of teal and gold so I used my Dylusions Calipso teal ink and my Distress stain spray in Tarnished brass to color the brush. I used the same sprays on my Prima resin frame, as well.


To achive the more finished look I used my Decoart media Metallic lustre in gold  on some areas and a dry brush technique on my frame using the white gesso. 
I love to add some faux rust elements to my projects so I attached a metal butterfly onto my frame. To achieve the rust effect I used some acrylic paints and a cinnamon powder. The word 'memory' is a sticker from a Tim Holtz Big chat stickers set.


I used Distress stain spray in Rusty hinge over the hole and some golden micro beads here and there. I also added some golden flat back pearls.


These paper flowers I got from my lovely blog friend Samra and I painted them using the diluted Light patina acrylic paint. I added some gold micro beads on top of the flowers.


I hope I have inspired you to create your vintage or a shabby chic project and to join in this wonderful challenge at Frilly and Funkie!

Thank you so much to the Frilly and Funkie team and to Linda for having me join them this month! 

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving lovely comments! I read and appreciate each and every one of them!

Hugs! Branka xx

Challenges:




21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful transformation! I am glad you were able to use the flowers I made for you :) I love that color combination, just gorgeous!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Branka..your work always amazes me,it really is so gorgeous..I adore this brush,love all the detailing...Thank you so much for joining and supporting our challenge over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Branka, love, what an amazing transformation of a common brush from the hardware store! The colors and crackle are favorites of mine, and you've really done a beautiful job blending Samra's gorgeous blooms into your project! Amazing work, my friend! Big hugs and big congratulations on your Guest Designer spot at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is absolutely stunning, Branka!! You are so creative!! I've never seen a more beautiful paintbrush!! The crackle is amazing!! I love the colors and the details you added!! The gold microbeads are a perfect touch!! What a spectacular project this is!! I love, love it!! Wow!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandeously FANTABULOUS B! Love it when you alter some stuff and this brush takes the cake. Holy moly texture and details. Those little hold micro beads are the perfect finishing touch for the flowers and the rusty gusty butterfly is tres magnificent! This would look perfect hanging on my wall at my house. Loves loves it! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I got so excited to see this and almost forgot to say Huge congrats on your guest spot at F&F! You did the proud dearie!!!!

      Delete
  6. Very happy to have you sharing your talent with us at Frilly and Funkie! This is stunning and never did a paint brush look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your guest spot Branka! When I saw this on FB I had no idea it was a paint brush, what an amazing and gorgeous transformation my friend, this is truly stunning. I love the gorgeous soft turquoise and the incredible rusty butterfly, they are incredible together and your flowers from Samra look so beautiful with the micro beads. This is a real triumph, I love it!!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. here from Moo Mania- perfect colors and elements for this wonderful shabby chic brush!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fantastic project! Just AWESOME Branka! Love in every single detail! Thank you for sharing with us at MOO-MANIA & MORE -CHALLENGE!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Branka, I love it even more once I see your process! What a magical transformation that old brush made! The texture is incredible, that crackle really works well on this recycle project. Such stunning colours and I adore the wee bits of gold beads you added. Of course, your flowers do steal the show, what a glorious way to decorate this amazing brush you made! Such a treat to have you at Frilly and Funkie as our Guest Designer, you are an inspiration my friend. sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Branka, Branka, Branka! Wow isn't a big enough word for this masterpiece! I love your gorgeous paint layers and terrific choice of embellishments. Biggest congratulations on your feature, so well deserved and beautifully done! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful transformation of the brush! I love the colours... Thank you so much for joining us at Country View Challenges this month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous altered paintbrush, Branka - beautiful colour palette and perfect embellishing. Congrats on a special guest offering for F&F
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun Branka...a brilliant transformation and perfect for our Hot Summer Days challenge over at Country View xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just gorgeous, thank you for sharing with us at Eclectic Ellapu and good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just beautiful! I have been afraid to try this but your design has inspired me to try! Thanks for sharing at Altered Eclectics!
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Traumhaft schön und sehr kreativ, ich bin begeistert !
    Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is beautiful and loving the colour combo. Brilliant idea sweetie and to paint the brush instead of painting with the brush - innovative. Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous project, thanks for joining us at Eclectic Ellapu this month! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Branka, this is amazingly beautiful! Stunning transformation of the brush! Great colours! Thank you for joining the August challenge of the Country View Challenges blog!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.